Apply for Support from the John Velvin Trust
In making their choice of those living with chronic kidney disease best deserving the Trust's support, the Trust will look for the following characteristics:
- Being of a character that John Velvin would have admired; that is, resilient to the condition, courageous, enduring and most importantly being of a very generous, totally unselfish nature and through all that having a positive outlook.
- Preferably a younger person (< 25 years old).
- Not being of sufficiently independent financial means, such that the recipient's lifestyle is badly impeded.
- Comes to us with the character support of his/her doctor, the renal fraternity, family and close friends.
- In the appropriate circumstances support may be extended to those immediately around the kidney sufferer so that they may themselves provide a much improved environment for the kidney sufferer.
The Trust is mindful of situations in which the applicant would benefit from assistance which rather than requiring money, seeks advice on matters the applicant is unable to get advice for themselves. For example this might include career or job advice, business decisions, legal problems etc. The Trust has access to a wide network and may be able to assist meet these type of needs.
Provided the recipient continues to be of good character and in need then it is intended the support be on going. This means the individual and the Trust may journey together through the recipients experience.
It is not expected that there will be a lot of recipients at any one time. While it is hard to determine, we expect there would be no more than five individuals being supported at any one time.