John Velvin Charitable Trust
The Trust has been formed by family and friends of the late John Velvin who suffered from long term chronic kidney disease.
It is established to provide support to persons living with chronic kidney disease.
To provide financial and personal support to individuals living with chronic kidney failure. Specifically the Trustees will provide support to those who they believe John Velvin would have most wanted to share his experience and advice, providing the individuals with opportunity and reassurance they otherwise would not have access to.
Funding support would typically enable recipients to continue with education, have access to appropriate renal advice, maintain contact with family and friends etc.
However the Trust's intentions are to provide personal support beyond money. This additional support would be in the form of access to many of our networks including professional colleagues, career development, counselling and the like.
As the Trust beneficiaries increase in number the Trustees will also seek opportunity for beneficiaries to support each other, both through sharing experiences in sessions where they get together and just being available for each other.
Thus the purposes are not limited to providing money.
In making their choice of those living with chronic kidney disease best deserving the Trust's support, the Trust will look for the following characteristics:
- Being of a character that John would have admired; that is, resilient to the condition, courageous, enduring and most importantly being of a very generous, totally unselfish nature and through all that having a positive outlook.
- Preferably a younger person (< 25 years old).
- Not being of sufficiently independent financial means, such that the recipient's lifestyle is badly impeded.
- Comes to us with the character support of his/her doctor, the renal fraternity, family and close friends.
- In the appropriate circumstances support may be extended to those immediately around the person with chronic kidney disease so that they may themselves provide a much improved environment for the person with chronic kidney disease.
There will be a formal application process incorporating the above.
Provided the recipient continues to be of good character and in need then it is intended the support be on going. This means the individual and the Trust may journey together through the recipients experience.
It is not expected that there will be a lot of recipients at any one time. While it is hard to determine, we expect there would be no more than five individuals being supported at any one time.
The Renal Fraternity
All renal parties contacted are supported of the purpose of the Trust. Kidney Health NZ has provided a letter of endorsement.
The Trustees have raised sufficient money from family and friends to begin the process of inviting potential beneficiaries to apply for support from the Trust. Trustees will look for other opportunities to access money from parties associated with beneficiary applicants and from other interested sources.
The following are a list of financial matters relevant to the fundraising from family and friends that remain pertinent for all other financial supporters:
- Any sum large or small is welcomed by the Trustees.
- The Trust is a Charitable Trust. All donations are tax free in the hands of the Trust and deductible to the donor.
- The Trust is not requiring any minimal sum in total funding received. Its purposes are not all money dependent.
- Donations may be made as a single payment or as regular payments over time.
- It is intended funds will only be asked for once. This is not to say that individuals admiring the contribution of the Trust might voluntarily continue support.
- The names of the donors will be made known to the Trustees but the amount donated will be confidential to the Donor and the Trust professional advisers. The Trustees will make no charges for their time, administration, travel or accommodation.
- The Trust will apply for funds from suitable sources including other Charitable Trusts associated with purposes fitting our objectives.
- Funds will be deposited in a trust bank account administered by Gault Mitchell the Trust lawyers.
- The investments will be managed by the Trustees in NZ fixed interest deposits with investment grade ratings.
There are four Trustees. One of those is a permanent appointment, a member of John's family. The trustees are:
- David Irving. Close friend of the late John Velvin. Previous CEO for Heinz Wattie Australasia, Honorary Professor University of Auckland Business School, Director of several SME’s and a Founder of The Icehouse.
- Doug Crombie. Close friend of the late John Velvin. Previous CEO of Rabo Bank NZ and prior to that a long career in senior management of Wrightson.
- John Button. Close friend of the late John Velvin. CEO of the family business, RL Button a leading NZ packaging company.
- Sally Velvin. Widow of the late John Velvin.
The Trustees are committed to annual reunions with all of John's friends and supporters of the Trust who are able to attend. While the formal purpose of the gathering will be to hold an AGM of the Trust and introduce our kidney beneficiaries to those attending, there will most importantly, be the opportunity for all of us to gather and celebrate John and all he stood for.
The lawyers for the Trust are Gault Mitchell and the Accountant is Mr Neville Goldie CA.
Sally Velvin ph 0275 855 055
Doug Crombie ph 0274 755 846
John Button ph 0274 924 946
David Irving ph 021 987 821